The research activities of Nicola Frison focus on the following topics:
- Advance and innovative biological processes for wastewater treatment:
- Design, implementation, verification and validation of advanced biological processes for nitrogen and phosphorus removal via-nitrite from nitrogenous wastewater (e.g. anaerobic digestate of sewage sludge, zootechnical effluents) in pilot, demonstrative and full scale Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR);
- Treatment of low strength wastewater for nitrogen and phosphorus removal via-nitrite (e.g., nitritation and denitritation, deammonification);
- Anaerobic treatment of high and low strength organic wastewater for COD removal and biogas production (e.g., Upflow Anaerobic Sludge Blanket).
- Resource recovery from waste and wastewater:
- Production of polyhydoxyalkanoates (PHA) from mixed cultures using raw materials such as primary, secondary sludge and/or the organic fraction of municipal organic waste (OFMSW);
- Volatile Fatty Acids (VFAs) production and recovery through acidogenic fermentation of putrescible organic matter, (e.g. sewage sludge, OFMSW);
- Cellulose and phosphorus recovery (e.g. struvite) from sewage sludge and zootechnical effluents.
Modules running in the period selected: 3.
Click on the module to see the timetable and course details.