|Wednesday||10:30 AM - 1:30 PM||lesson||Lecture Hall H||from Oct 12, 2016 to Jan 31, 2017|
|Friday||9:30 AM - 11:30 AM||lesson||Lecture Hall H||from Oct 14, 2016 to Jan 31, 2017|
The Biophyics lectures are intended to spread the views of physics particularly regarding the study and interpretation of biological phenomena.
Different aspects of both classical and quantistic physics are taken into consideration.
The main objectives are to give the students the right tools to understand the experiments in Biology also from a physics point of view, moreover to give the basic knowledge for biophysical analysis especially spectroscopy and microscopy.
The lectures will be on the following topics:
• Analysis of mechanical physics and wave physics.
• Hints of relativistic physics.
• Physics quantum-mechanical.
• The description of matter in classical physics and quantum physics.
• wave-matter interaction (with examples of biological systems)
• subject-matter interaction (with examples of biological systems).
• Optical Microscopy
• Fluorescence Microscopy
• Electron Microscopy (SEM and TEM)
• Atomic force microscopy (AFM)
• Absorption Spectroscopy (Visible, Infrared, Ultraviolet)
• Spectroscopy in emission (fluorescence)
• Optical activity (linear and circular dichroism, optical rotation)
• Mass Spectrometry
• Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron spin resonance (EPR)
• Dynamic Light Scattering
The educational material of the course consists of slides, handouts, articles and material for in-depth and reference.
Everything is available for download on the page:
The course is based on the following books, however, the educational material provided is sufficient for the preparation of exam.
Physical Chemistry Organic 2 (Atkins-De Paula)
Principles of Physical Biochemistry (KE Van Holde)
The exam will be an oral exam on the discussed topics.
It is possible to take an appointment for taking the exam outside the defined calendar.