|Tuesday||8:30 AM - 10:30 AM||lesson||Lecture Hall Gino Tessari||from Oct 7, 2009 to Jan 31, 2010|
|Wednesday||9:30 AM - 11:30 AM||lesson||Lecture Hall Gino Tessari||from Oct 7, 2009 to Jan 31, 2010|
|Friday||11:30 AM - 12:30 PM||lesson||Lecture Hall Gino Tessari||from Oct 7, 2009 to Jan 31, 2010|
The goal of the course is to learn the main concepts of General Chemistry and some important concepts of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry.
Chemical and physical phenomena. Fundamental laws of Chemistry. Atomic structure of matter. Periodic properties. Chemical reactions.
Stoichiometry. Gases, solids, liquids. The chemical bond.
Thermochemistry and thermodynamics. Phase diagrams and properties of solutions. Chemical kinetics. Chemical equilibrium. Equilibria in aqueous solutions. Electrochemistry.
- Introduction, properties, measurements and their units
- Elements, atoms and compounds
- Nomenclature of inorganic compounds
- Types of reactions: precipitations, acids and bases, redox
- General principles of stoichiometry
- Termochemistry: internal energy, enthalpy, reaction enthalpies
- Atomic structure; Bohr's model, quantum mechanics
- Periodic properties: atomic and ionic radii, ionization energy,
electronic affinity, electronegativity
- Covalent bond
- Polarity of the bonds
- Molecular shape: VSEPR theory
- Van der Waals forces
- Properties of liquids
- Properties of solids
- Solutions; concentrations
- Colligative properties
- Chemical kinetics; reaction mechanisms
- Chemical equilibria
- Acids and bases and their solutions; hydrolysis; buffer solutions
- Solubility equilibria
- Spontaneous reactions; free energy
- Electrochemical cells
- Nuclear chemistry and radiochemistry
The examination consists of a written exercise, based on a series of questions on the theory of General Chemistry.