|Teoria||4||I sem.||Adolfo Speghini|
|Esercitazioni||1||I sem.||Adolfo Speghini|
|Laboratorio [Laboratorio - esercitazioni 1° turno]||1||I sem.||Adolfo Speghini|
|Laboratorio [Laboratorio - esercitazioni 2° turno]||1||I sem.||Adolfo Speghini|
The course provides the fundamental concepts of General Chemistry and some basics of Inorganic Chemistry. Moreover, models and general concepts as means of justification and prediction of physical and chemical properties of systems of increasing degree of complexity (atoms, molecules, substances, multi-component systems, both homogeneous and heterogeneous) are illustrated and discussed. Concepts and methods for predicting qualitative and quantitative changes of intensive and extensive properties of evolving chemical systems will be also considered.
Stoichiometric exercises will be solved to acquire competences to manage real problems of chemical interest.
The course will consider some practical experiences in laboratory, to give skills for solving real analysis typical of a chemical laboratory, together with some information about the common equipment present in a chemical laboratory and how to work in safe conditions.
- Introduction. Chemical and physical properties of matter and their measurements.
- Elements, atoms and compounds.
- Nomenclature of inorganic compounds.
- Chemical reactions. Reaction stoichiometry.
- Ideal and real gases.
- Atomic structure. Atomic orbitals. Electronic configuration, Aufbau principle.
- Periodic properties: atomic and ionic radii, ionization energy, electron affinity, electronegativity.
- Elementary notions on the ionic bond. Ionic compounds.
- Covalent bond. Lewis formula. Resonance. Molecular geometry and polarity. Orbital hybridisation. Single and multiple bonds.
- Interparticle forces.
- Properties of liquids. Solutions. Colligative properties.
- Properties of solids.
- Chemical kinetics. Arrhenius equation. Reaction mechanisms.
- Chemical equilibrium. Equilibrium constant.
- Acid-base equilibrium. Acid, base and salt solutions. Acid-base titration. Buffer solutions.
- Solubility equilibrium.
- Electrochemical cells. Electrolysis.
- Chemical formulas, chemical reactions and reaction stoichiometry.
- Ideal gas laws. Gas mixtures.
- Solutions: concentrations, colligative properties.
- Chemical equilibrium: applications of equilibrium constants to homogeneous and heterogeneous equilibria.
- Acid-base equilibria, buffers, acid-base titrations.
- determination of the hydrogen peroxide concentration in a commercial sample for pharmaceutical use
- determination of the number of water molecules in hydrate copper sulphate
- weak base-strong acid titration
- strong base-strong acid titration
- Chimica (X edizione), Whitten, Davis, Peck, Stanley, 2016, Ed. Piccin
- Fondamenti di chimica, Brown, Lemay, Bursten, Murphy, Woodward, 2012, Ed. EdiSES, Napoli
- Esercizi svolti - Chimica Generale - Principi ed applicazioni moderne, A. Paterno Parsi, A. Parsi, T. Pintauer, L. Gelmini, R. W. Hilts, 2015, Piccin Nuova Libraria, Padova
- Problemi di chimica generale, Arnaldo Peloso, 2009, Libreria Cortina, Padova
- handouts prepared by the teacher.
The theory will be presented with the help of Powerpoint slides that will be made available to students. Stechiometry problems will be illustrated and solved by direct writing on the blackboard. Laboratory experiences will be delivered during the afternoon classes. Laboratory handouts will be made available to students. In addition to the Teacher, a tutor will help students to perform the experiments, clarify the chemical concepts and process of the lab experience.
The exam consists of a written test, including stoichiometric exercises and questions about the entire program of the course, designed to ensure the student's knowledge of the whole program of the course. Particular attention will be given to the knowledge of the concepts of general chemistry, the correct resolution of numerical exercises and the knowledge of the methods, tools and techniques used in laboratory exercises.
For both attending and non-attending students, the subjects of the exam will cover all the topics discussed both in the theoretical part and in that of numerical and laboratory exercises.
Laboratory: a written work on the methods and results obtained during laboratory experiments is required.
|Teoria||Whitten - Davis - Peck - Stanley||Chimica X edizione (Edizione 10)||Piccin Nuova Libraria, Padova||2016||978-88-299-2757-9|
|Esercitazioni||A. Paterno Parsi, A. Parsi, T. Pintauer, L. Gelmini, R. W. Hilts||Esercizi svolti - Chimica Generale - Principi ed applicazioni moderne||Piccin Nuova Libraria, Padova||2015||978-88-299-2738-8|
|Laboratorio||Speghini Adolfo||Dispense per esercitazioni di laboratorio di Chimica Generale e Inorganica||2018|