|Teoria||6||I semestre||Adolfo Speghini|
|Esercitazioni||1||I semestre||Adolfo Speghini|
|Laboratorio [Laboratorio I]||2||I semestre||Adolfo Speghini|
|Laboratorio [Laboratorio II]||2||I semestre||Adolfo Speghini|
|Teoria||Monday||9:30 AM - 12:30 PM||lesson||Lecture Hall Berni (Lebrecht)|
|Teoria||Wednesday||9:30 AM - 12:30 PM||lesson||Lecture Hall Berni (Lebrecht)|
|Laboratorio [Laboratorio I]||Monday||1:30 PM - 5:30 PM||laboratorio||Laboratory Laboratorio Didattica (Lebrecht)||from Nov 2, 2015 to Jan 29, 2016|
|Laboratorio [Laboratorio II]||Wednesday||1:30 PM - 5:30 PM||laboratorio||Laboratory Laboratorio Didattica (Lebrecht)||from Nov 2, 2015 to Jan 29, 2016|
The course provides the fundamental concepts of General Chemistry and some basics of Inorganic Chemistry. In particular:
- models and general concepts as means of justification and prediction of physical and chemical properties of systems of increasing degree of complexity: atoms, molecules, substances, multi-component systems (homogeneous and heterogeneous).
- concepts and methods for predicting qualitative and quantitative changes of intensive and extensive properties of evolving chemical systems.
Numerical exercises complement and deepen the subjects addressed in the theoretical part. They are an essential tool for the student in order to improve the skill to solve real problems of chemical interest.
The experiments in the chemical laboratory complete the knowledge acquired in the theoretical and numerical exercises parts, facing the student with real problems of chemical interest. The student gain also information about the common equipment present in a chemical laboratory and how to work in safe conditions.
Introduction. Chemical and physical properties of matter and their measurements.
Elements, atoms and compounds.
Nomenclature of inorganic compounds.
Chemical reactions. Reaction stoichiometry.
Ideal and real gases.
Thermochemistry. Internal energy and enthalpy. Standard enthalpy of reaction and formation.
Atomic structure. Atomic orbitals. Electronic configuration, Aufbau principle.
Periodic properties: atomic and ionic radii, ionization energy, electron affinity, electronegativity.
Elementary notions on the ionic bond. Ionic compounds.
Covalent bond. Lewis formula. Resonance. Molecular geometry and polarity. Orbital hybridisation. Single and multiple bonds.
Properties of liquids. Solutions. Colligative properties. Binary liquid mixtures. Distillation.
Properties of solids.
Chemical kinetics. Arrhenius equation. Reaction mechanisms.
Chemical equilibrium. Equilibrium constant.
Acid-base equilibrium. Acid, base and salt solutions. Acid-base titration. Buffer solutions.
Entropy. Spontaneous processes. Gibbs free energy. Standard free energy of reaction and formation.
Electrochemical cells. Electrolysis.
Stoichiometry problems solving on the following subjects:
- Chemical formulas, chemical reactions and reaction stoichiometry.
- Ideal gas laws. Gas mixtures.
- Solutions: concentrations, colligative properties.
- Chemical equilibrium: applications of equilibrium constants to homogeneous and heterogeneous equilibria.
- Acid-base equilibria, buffers, acid-base titrations.
- determination of the hydrogen peroxide concentration in a commercial sample for pharmaceutical use
- determination of the number of water molecules in hydrate copper sulphate
- spectrophotometric determination of the concentration of a potassium permanganate solution
- weak base-strong acid titration
- strong base-strong acid titration
- determination of tap and commercial water hardness.
The final exam consists of a written part, with solving of stoichiometry problems and general questions and of an oral part.
|Esercitazioni||A. Paterno Parsi, A. Parsi, T. Pintauer, L. Gelmini, R. W. Hilts||Esercizi svolti - Chimica Generale - Principi ed applicazioni moderne||Piccin Nuova Libraria, Padova||2015||978-88-299-2738-8|
|Esercitazioni||Maurizio Bruschi||Stechiometria e Laboratorio di Chimica Generale||Pearson Italia, Milano, Torino||2011||978-88-7192-576-9|